[nycphp-talk] Working with designers

tedd tedd at sperling.com
Sun Aug 30 10:22:11 EDT 2009

At 12:59 AM -0400 8/30/09, Ajai Khattri wrote:
>On Thu, 27 Aug 2009, tedd wrote:
>
>  > Furthermore, the number of actual web developers out there who do
>>  know how to program in all the web languages (i.e., namely html, css,
>>  javascript, php, mysql, et al) to create a truly functional web site,
>>  are very few.
>
>I find that hard to believe. Web developers *should* know all of those as
>a *minimum*.

Should yes, but many don't. Many wing it knowing just enough to get
by and be dangerous. I review code almost everyday where someone
though they were doing it right, but their product was not up to
standards.

For example, try validating web sites -- you'll see that the majority
fail having html errors -- and html is easy to fix!

Also look at the amount of embedded css you find in html and php
stuff -- some done by very good php programmers who simply don't know
any better.

Also, look at javascript routines and see the amount of unobtrusive
code as compared to the embedded stuff. Again, good javascript
programmers who don't know how to program unobtrusively.

Now, combine all of that into being truly multilingual and you'll
find very few who actually master it.

Cheers,

tedd

--