[nycphp-talk] Working with designers

Chris Snyder chsnyder at gmail.com
Thu Aug 20 14:19:28 EDT 2009

On Thu, Aug 20, 2009 at 1:51 PM, Ajai Khattri<ajai at bitblit.net> wrote:
> On Thu, 20 Aug 2009, Chris Snyder wrote:
>
>> Yes, designers should have HTML experience. But the best designers
>> think visually, and need to have the freedom to do that.
>
> The only problem is when a designer comes up with a design that can't be
> expressed in HTML or doesn't work easily with your coding framework of
> choice. That's what I mean when I say the HTML knowledge should inform the
> design process too.

Exactly. When a designer takes on web work they have to learn the
limitations of the medium: web fonts for body text, no custom form
controls, no flowed text. I'm happy to educate anyone I'm working with
about what is a bad idea, what is really expensive, and what is
impossible.

It's not that bad, but you DO have to ask to review designs before
they are sent to the client.

And to the extent that we can expect people to have
standards-compliant browsers with javascript, very few designs are
actually impossible in HTML. Expensive to develop, perhaps, but not
impossible.