[nycphp-talk] Questions to ask at a job interview?

Ben Sgro (ProjectSkyLine) ben at projectskyline.com
Sat Jul 7 19:13:55 EDT 2007

Hey again,

So, I had a string of interviews over the last two weeks.

I have just hired one candidate that I believe will be a good addition to
our company.

I ended up using the Joel Spolsky (or whoever coined this) question:

I have two variables and I want to switch their values.

Some candidates totaly froze, and other's got it quickly.

I also showed some source code, a *small* 150L script, and asked them what
it did.

Not only was it commented, but the function & variable names are extremely
obvious.
Some looked in awe and said, "this is a small script?" while some took a few
minutes
and looked over the code, then attempted to explaint to me what it did.

Overall, it was a great experiance. I look forward to finding new talent to
add to our growing
company.

Thanks for all the responses and feedback!

- Ben

Ben Sgro, Chief Engineer
ProjectSkyLine - Defining New Horizons
+1 718.487.9368 (N.Y. Office)

Our company: www.projectskyline.com
Our products: www.project-contact.com

This e-mail is confidential information intended only for the use of the
individual to whom it is addressed.