[nycphp-talk] unbelievable

edward potter edwardpotter at gmail.com
Tue Jan 30 21:45:53 EST 2007

To all my php buds.  I hate to say this, but I have seen some recent
CL posts for USA based, Graduate students with (as they quote) a
number of years of php experience, that are billing at $10 an hour.

What was the straw that broke the camels back?  The DIGG guys saying
they built their ZILLION dollar site with an overseas php programmer,
for $10/HR.  That was the final nail in the coffin.

So what am I doing?  I am diving FULL blast into Python, and the
Django frame work. Major Python shops?  Google, yahoo, and youtube.
Yes, I'll still use php, in fact it's Wordpress, MediaWiki, and just
about any ecommerce application out there, In fact, every project I'm
working on now is php based - BUT I'M AM SORRY to say, with at least
6+ years with php under my belt, I think it's time to move on.   Yes,
I know cake is cool, and 5.0 rocks, but the writing is on the wall for
a freelancer.  If you have a 9-5, as a php developer,  sit tight, SAVE
your bucks, sink it into Google options, BUT don' t think of living
your day job (unless you are very brave!!  The market is brutal right
now.

I lived in India for .65 cents a day, there is no way to compete with
those costs in the USA.

http://www.djangoproject.com/

And some comments here:
"Last week, I wrote about my discontent with PHP and why I chose to
give Python a shot at becoming my new tool of choice."
http://blog.rightbrainnetworks.com/category/development/php/

- ed  YIPES!  :-)

--
the Blog: http://www.utopiaparkway.com