[nycphp-talk] ORM

Kenneth Downs ken at secdat.com
Sat Jan 27 09:28:07 EST 2007

I'm not usually one to complain about wikipedia, but I wouldn't put too
much faith in that particular article, the author's knowledge of RDBMS
is extremely weak.

 Examples of fundamental misunderstanding include:

"For example, relational databases make complicated associations
difficult,"

...which indicates no understanding of use of primary and foreign keys.
It is the simplicity of these two building blocks that makes complicated
relationships so easy to build.  Double-shame go to the author for
failing to recognize the use of *composition*, a key OO technique, in
the construction of complicated relationships.

We also have to hope this is just a typo:

"they [RDBMS] tend to "map" poorly into the OO world because they fail
to implement the relational model
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Relational_model>'s (did he mean
Object-oriented models?) user-defined types."

Does my toaster "fail to implement" automobile brakes?  Might it be
because you don't need brakes on a toaster?

This one I can't ignore:

"In the object world there is a clear sense of "ownership
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ownership>", where a particular person
object owns a particular phone number. This is not the case in
relational databases"

As my daughter would say, OMG!!!  This guy needs to dig through
wikipedia for something called 'row-level-security'.  In my databases a
user can only see their own information, because they "own" it.  An
admin is the guy that can see it all.  Not to mention that the table
itself is the *fundamental* *mechanism* for associating attributes to a
particular entity.

my last stab, from the very same sentence:

"...the tables have no idea how they relate to other tables at a
fundamental level"

Foreign key anybody?  Look up the term "natural join" as well.

Oh, well, enough of this ranting, I'm putting some intro material on the
Andromeda website today, and getting a new domain name, its only fun for
so long to beat up on somebody's work, much more fun to perfect your own....