[nycphp-talk] Followup: Going weekly rate for php developer/coder in NYC these days?

edward potter edwardpotter at gmail.com
Thu Jan 18 11:11:02 EST 2007

Ok, just to keep everyone up to date, based on interviews to date, the
going rate for a 6 month contract with someone with a solid
php/developer background/graduate degree in IT right now seems to top
out out $60/hr based on a 6 month contract. A HOT flash programmer,
"may" get up to $100 an hour for a short term assignment.

Everyone seems to be SUPER hot on javascript/ajax/css integration
applications.  The browser has become the boss. Some of the gui work
I'm seeing is MIND blowing. Flash is used sparingly, but EVERYONE uses
the flash player to deliver video.

Mood in most offices?  Not anywhere as excited as the boom, but based
on the world today, I can understand it. Most folks seem a bit grumpy
and just happy to be employed. That WOW, we're going to change the
world spark seems to have dimmed a bit, but who knows, I'm still
optimistic.

PS, outsourced to India, php rates start at about $10 per hour.  A NYC
union electrician/plumber is about $85/hr. My NYU surgeon is $250/$350
per follow-up visit, she seems to see 2/3 patients an hour. Surgery is
about $16,000 - $22,000 for every hour under the knife. A NYC hospital
stay is
$10,000/ night -  includes fruit salad. :-)

In other words, a good health insurance policy is probably worth it no
matter what the cost.

yipes!

-ed

--