[nycphp-talk] Thoughts on using JavaScript withno progressivefall-back

inforequest 1j0lkq002 at sneakemail.com
Wed Feb 28 22:40:06 EST 2007

Peter Sawczynec ps-at-sun-code.com |nyphp dev/internal group use| wrote:

>Gaining and maintaining good search engine results is important.

I'd refer that judgement to the specific web site / page. The importance
varies by project.

>But, personally (and I'm stressing the all out subjectivity) I would not
>press a client to compromise or shelve one iota of cutting edge,
>involving, striking, memorable, convenient, effective, versatile,
>cost-effective, meaningful, productive, or any other 'dead right on,
>exactly what the site needs' design or layout or tools or architecture
>even if search engines still have issues with it.
>
>That is my pure personal subjective attitude.

Again, impact of your described approach really depends on project. If
the project needs search referrals, and you take a design approach that
prevents search engines from referring traffic (for whatever reason),
you lose. Plain and simple.

>So I'd say: use iframes to integrate content, if that is the answer that
>solves your web presentation issue. Then use the entire tool box of
>other ways to fortify your seo issues. But, of course, the customer gets
>the final say.

Sometimes there are no tools to fix a design-imposed barrier except the
delete tool ;-)

>I would never stop a client from listening to and employing specialized
>seo consultation strategies and if they were to direct me to meet
>certain criteria, I'd do it.

Of course.

>When I go to work, I first reference powerhouse sites like cnn, mtv,
>bbc, yahoo, google, cartier, kb homes, dodge, vogue, dow jones, forbes,
>fortune... and see what they are up too. They are not running from any
>technology, they all pull every dirty development technique in the book
>that makes the site work for the user to the point where they put heir
>own web cause second and the user's cause first. And they seem to keep
>winning.

I can almost guarantee that all of those have serious SEO people working
for them, but perhaps not on the specific sites. They sometimes have a
strategy of buying traffic through other means (PPC) as well.

Funny you mention Vogue see
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=site%3Avogue.com&btnG=Google+Search

They don't use vogue.com for search traffic at all.

>As usual I would first stress business/web innovation and leadership
>first -- see how your immediate clients and their clients express
>appreciation -- your business will get recognized for all of it.
>
>Just my dos centavos.

That's a great value for 2 cents, eh?

--
Your web server traffic log file is the most important source of web business information available. Do you know where your logs are right now? Do you know who else has access to your log files? When they were last archived? Where those archives are? --John Andrews Competitive Webmaster and SEO Blogging at http://www.johnon.com