[nycphp-talk] PHP/SQL ECommerce Solutions

Hans C. Kaspersetz hans at cyberxdesigns.com
Wed Feb 14 17:27:28 EST 2007

I will take a shot at this one.  My group has installed/customized
X-Cart a handful of times for clients.  It is a very feature rich
eCommerce solution.  Their support is pretty darn good and the software
works well.

The problem with X-Cart is it is a very feature rich piece of software
and it uses Smarty templates.  X-Cart like Joomla, can be overkill in
many cases.  The sheer volume of features and configuration can make
things unmanageable.  The use of Smarty templates can make customizing
X-Cart time consuming.  There are many many layers that have to be
sifted through to fully apply a custom look and feel.

Those draw backs aside, we still deploy X-Cart as our first choice in
PHP shopping carts.  As well, we use Joomla all the time.  Maybe we are
gluttons for punishment, but both seem to serve us well.

I know some very smart developers outside my group who also use X-Cart
for some very good looking sites.  Here is a very simple example of an
X-Cart installation.  http://www.imaginativelearningtools.com

Good luck and make sure you estimate an appropriate amount of time for
the project.  Learning any new software platform is very time consuming.

Hans

Hans C. Kaspersetz
Cyber X Designs

http://www.cyberxdesigns.com