[nycphp-talk] capricious submission of forms

tedd tedd at sperling.com
Wed Feb 14 13:02:43 EST 2007

At 1:37 PM -0500 2/13/07, Dan Cech wrote:
>Chris Shiflett wrote:
>>  Before anyone notes my hypocrisy, my blog requires people to indicate my
>>  first name in order to post a comment, and although I might adopt a
>  > better approach, at least this approach is accessible.
>
>I haven't needed to implement this myself, but it does seem like
>question/answer based challenges are a good approach.  This is mostly
>because they don't suffer from the class breaks inherent in most
>image-based captcha systems (once you crack the captcha algorithm you
>can solve any captcha using that system), assuming you take the time to
>add some questions which are unique to the individual instance of the
>system.  And of course, they are fully accessible.

Dan:

I've tried that scheme before, but it was shot down by the
accessibility movement. No matter how simple the questions, it was
problematic.

Eric Meyers once had "What's the color of an orange?" for access to
his site, but then he took off all restrictions. I think it might
have been too political, but I wouldn't expect him to comment either
way.

I also developed a scheme that said something like "Pick the third
letter" (TIMY), but then it didn't deal with the dyslectic very well.

CAPTCHA looks simple, but it's not.

Cheers,

tedd

--