[nycphp-talk] capricious submission of forms

Rolan Yang rolan at omnistep.com
Tue Feb 13 21:33:41 EST 2007

Chris Shiflett wrote:

> I like your solution, primarily because you're trying to be accessible,
> but I'm not sure how someone who needs to use the audio CAPTCHA can find
> it. Can you explain what a screen reader would do with this?
>
> <h2>Please click the accessibility icon.</h2>
> <object type="application/x-shockwave-flash" name="movie"
> data="access.swf" style="width: 30px; height: 30px;">
> <param name="movie" value="access.swf">
> </object>
>
> I'm no accessibility expert, but it is a topic that I'm very interested
> in. In fact, maybe someone could give a talk on accessibility?
>
> Chris

One site (I think it was joomlatemplates) had a visual captcha form
which I was simply not able to decode even after multiple tries. They
did have the audio option also, which I was the only way I could
complete the registration.

One of the most embarrassing captcha schemes I had ever seen was on the
American Airlines website. The script must have been broken because it
was failing on every legitimate attempt. I let a friend of mine try a
few times when he noticed that the words were repeating. As it turns
out, there were only 13 static gif images used in the rotation, and the
asp script would simply choose a random captcha filename to include in
the page. Doh!!!

~Rolan