[nycphp-talk] capricious submission of forms

tedd tedd at sperling.com
Tue Feb 13 12:05:45 EST 2007

At 7:02 PM -0500 2/12/07, Chris Shiflett wrote:
>Chris Snyder wrote:
>>  Captchas are vulnerable to the porn-in-the-middle attack, but
>>  you would have to have some really hot porn in order to post
>>  large volumes of spam across millions of sites.
>
>You'd just need enough traffic to teach a tool like PWNtcha, and that's
>only necessary for unique CAPTCHAs. Existing libraries are probably
>already covered.
>
>Employing a CAPTCHA raises the bar, but there are less annoying ways to
>do that. Can you tell I'm not a fan? :-)
>
>Before anyone notes my hypocrisy, my blog requires people to indicate my
>first name in order to post a comment, and although I might adopt a
>better approach, at least this approach is accessible.
>
>Chris

Chris:

That reminds me of a protection scheme I cam across that said "Please
enter the name of this Blog" and I couldn't find it anywhere. Now,
that was exclusive.

I dislike CAPTCHA's as well, but am trying to come up with some
alternate solutions, such as:

http://xn--nvg.com/captcha

Granted, they are not prefect -- but they do offer more
accessibility. The audio solution is currently being evaluated by a
vision impaired group and I'm waiting approval. If I receive
approval, then I plan to make the code available for free from my
site.

I am interested in your opinion.

tedd

--