[nycphp-talk] worm/virus's hammering feedback scripts?

Daniel Convissor danielc at analysisandsolutions.com
Mon Sep 12 15:08:08 EDT 2005

Hi Billy:

On Mon, Sep 12, 2005 at 02:36:19PM -0400, Billy Reisinger wrote:
> In fact, the attacker can stop a mail message in the
> middle of the message body and begin an entirely new message!  For a
> more thorough (and cogent) explanation of this vulnerability, head on
> over to http://securephp.damonkohler.com/index.php/Email_Injection .

Huh?!  Insert headers in the middle of the message body?!  That doesn't
make sense to me.  I believe you're misinterpreting the article you
mention.  Perhaps I misunderstand things, but the way I see it, I can
write "Content-Type: <whatever>" in the middle of message until my fingers
fall off and it won't have any impact.  The problem is inserting that into
the headers.

On Mon, Sep 12, 2005 at 02:38:23PM -0400, Billy Reisinger wrote:
> This eregi() is a good start - but like I said in a previous post, ALL
> variables should be checked this way, including subject and message!
> The cruel nature of this hack is that it works anywhere in the mail()
> function.

My (buggy, someone please fix it, I'm short on time now) pseudo-code
clears invalid characters from the subject and name plus if the email
address is bogus, halts execution.

--Dan

--
                http://www.AnalysisAndSolutions.com/