[nycphp-talk] Re: Consulting work

Matt Juszczak matt at atopia.net
Sat Jul 2 01:56:48 EDT 2005

> IME, "part time work" might be your problem.  If I'm going to pay
> someone 50/80/100 USD per hour, I don't expect them to be "part time".
> If I need your help *now*, I don't want to hear "I'll be over as soon as
> I get off from my day job".  I, and my clients, pay for that kind of
> access.

The reason I say part time is because I have to pay my bills and need a
steady job.  If someone offered me a full time job, then of course I would
probably switch if I was ready.

> As for paying "by project", it's all in how you approach them.  If you
> say "I charge $X per hour and I can do Y" they will want to know how
> long it takes you to do the project.  If you say "I can install Apache
> for you (your website is extra) and it will costs $300" and they agree
> to it, you just earned $300 to install an RPM.  One of my clients paid
> $300 to have SpamAssassin installed.  Granted, the guy did a good job,
> but I know it didn't take him $300/(15$/hour) = 20 hours to do it. It
> didn't take the guy three hours to do it.

Wow ... I think I install things at work all day long, its like a
repetitiveness for me ... mostly ports though :)  I just wish I could
market everything I do ... I can do anti spam solutions, LDAP solutions,
Webserver setup, configuration, custom PHP, database work, Mail server
setup, etc. etc .... so much, I just wish I knew how to get work for it.

> BTW, there *is* work in south Jersey. I've had a client near Eatontown for
> years and I just picked up another one near there.  I can't pay the rent
> on just those two but then I'm not located in south Jersey.

Well if you ever find anyone looking to hire for any kind of work related
to the above, let me know :) I have resume and references :)

-Matt