[nycphp-talk] Releasing Code

Tim Gales tgales at tgaconnect.com
Sat Sep 25 08:03:12 EDT 2004

That's not exactly true -- you cannot sell GPLed code.
You can charge a 'reasonable fee' for distributing it
i.e. "You may charge a fee for the physical act of
transferring a copy".

> That is, I can take 'gcc' or
> 'emacs' or anything else that is GPLed and sell it to someone
> if I wanted.  The catch is that when I sell it I have to be
> give the customer the source code if they want it, and they
> can do whatever they want with it.

Another condition of the license is that you must make
the recipients of the work aware of the fact that it is being
distributed under the GPL, i.e. "you [must] conspicuously
and appropriately publish on each copy an appropriate
copyright notice..."

One of the reasons is "you must show them these terms so they
know their rights".

> Note that this is what
> Red Hat does with their Red Hat Enterprise Linux and also the
> reason that things like White Box Linux exist [1].

Red Hat does not sell the code -- it sells support.
(Red Hat describes what you can buy from them in a section
entitled " GENERAL TERMS AND CONDITIONS" in their
'Subscription Agreement').

I don't believe Red Hat guarantees the software as
described in the GPL agreement, i.e. " you may at
your option offer warranty protection in exchange
for a fee".

The language at:
http://www.redhat.com/licenses/rhel_us_3.html

contains something pretty close to the following
about whether the code will actually work or is of
any value (merchantability):

" provided and LICENSED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND,
EITHER EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO
THE IMPLIED WARRANTY OF MERCHANTABILITY..."

This means the code is (legally) worthless and reemphasizes
the point that it is not the code which is being sold.

T. Gales & Associates
'Helping People Connect with Technology'

http://www.tgaconnect.com