[nycphp-talk] Marginally OT: dedicated hosting

Jayesh Sheth jayeshsh at ceruleansky.com
Fri Oct 15 17:19:47 EDT 2004

Hi All,

Dreamhost has their Dreamserver set of offerings too:

All Debian-based, and also can have the awesome normal Dreamhost control
panel. I have used their shared hosting for some time now, which have
been (knock on wood) pretty good. I have been thinking about upgrading
to a dedicated server from them.

They also offer customized add-on support plans which turn an unmanaged
box into a semi-managed or fully-managed one.

Prices are $150 per month and up (excluding add-on service plans).

I have also considered http://www.johncompanies.com ; they are supposed
to be good. As Chris (Shifflet) mentioned, they offer steep discounts
for open source developers. My only concern with johncompanies.com is
that they don't have much contact information on their site. And I fear
that they are a (very) small company. That does not have to be a bad
thing, but small companies can easily go under. On the other hand,
Dreamhost is not that big either, but I think they host at least 30,000
domains on their shared servers, and have at least 30 employees. I hear
that the founder of John Companies, John Kozubik, worked for Yahoo's
(now discontinued ?) dedicated server offerings.

Best regards,

- Jay