[nycphp-talk] Marginally OT: dedicated hosting

Mitch Pirtle mitch.pirtle at gmail.com
Thu Oct 14 20:00:44 EDT 2004

Hi gang,

Being that I host several PHP driven websites, this isn't completely off topic.

I used to use RackSpace, but the high prices didn't match the
nonexistant service.  So I switched to Server Beach, where the prices
rocked but they refused to provide backups, even when I offered to pay
extra.  So I switched to aPlus (who got a high rating as a hosting
provider) - and was lied to by the sales agent up front; lied to by
another who promised a customer I referred I would get credited one
month; and then told to bugger off when I had complaints.  And after
half a year their backup is still not implemented anyway!

Are any of you out there happy with a dedicated provider, and paying
in the $100 - $250 range?  Do you get backups?  Do you get printed
invoices?  Do you speak with a human when something goes wrong?

I'm looking to mirror Mambo in the US, and also am gearing up to
launch a new online magazine (more on that later, the domain will blow
your minds), and have no interest in spam or pr0n - my content may be
misspelled, but is nevertheless clean.

Anybody out there lend a helping hand to a distressed and distraught soul?

-- Mitch, devastated and annoyed at the threat of looming DNS updates