[nycphp-talk] Remote procedure calls

Hans Zaunere hans at nyphp.com
Thu Oct 7 21:28:02 EDT 2004

> I am making an offline version of php application that I have on the
web.

> The client will take the software offline, save data to an offline
Oracle
> Lite database, and then sync the data back online at a later date. I
am
> trying to determine the best way to perform remore procedure calls and
> transmit large amounts of data back to the online database.

Although not available (at least, I don't believe so) with Oracle Lite,
this seems best handled by database replication.  For instance, you
could have a local MySQL server running, then when it comes online, it
would replicate and automatically synchronize with the central database.
I know of several cases (for instance, embedded databases on trains that
sync with a central database wirelessly when they are at the station).

> I have been looking at XML-RPC and SOAP which seem like good solutions
for
> remote procedure calls, but not necessarily for transmitting large
amounts
> of data. Does anyone have any suggestions on this?

These would work work, but depending on how large your data is, it might
become inefficient.  Another option might be to just use some type of
FTP or SFTP process to move the actual data, then import it on the
central database side.