[nycphp-talk] [ot] Red Hat Fedora - should i upgrade?

Shannon Weyrick weyrick at roadsend.com
Thu Mar 18 09:51:30 EST 2004

Hans Zaunere wrote:
>>Has anyone had experience with Gentoo? It seems intriguing, and they
>>certainly seem to think highly of themselves (-:
>>http://www.gentoo.org/
>

> I'd stay away from it personally; some others on this list could attest,
> too.
>
> Stick with Fedora/Redhat; solid distro.  Or, go with FreeBSD, which is
> what gentoo wants to be.

I use gentoo on my work station, and I really like it. The portage
system makes it easy to stay up to date, although you do burn a lot of
time compiling. I've run into only a couple of problems with the portage
build system - everything so far has pretty much "just worked".  When I
first tried it I imagined wasting hours figuring out why packages
weren't building right, but this hasn't been the case at all.

One of the things I like over other distros is I don't have to worry
about upgrading to the inevitable next release or finding the latest
version of a package, which always seems to be a hassle. Just stay up to
date periodically with 'emerge -u world' and I'm always on the latest
release.

I haven't used gentoo on a server yet (we still use debian), but I'm
considering it with my success so far on the work station...

Shannon

>From hans not junk at nyphp.com  Thu Mar 18 10:25:16 2004
> >>Has anyone had experience with Gentoo? It seems intriguing, and they
> >>certainly seem to think highly of themselves (-:=20
> >>http://www.gentoo.org/
> >=20
> >=20
> > I'd stay away from it personally; some others on this list could
attest,
> > too.
> >=20
> > Stick with Fedora/Redhat; solid distro.  Or, go with FreeBSD, which
is
> > what gentoo wants to be.
> >=20
>=20
> and don't rule out a look at SuSE...

Very good point.  It's often overlooked (in the US anyway), but arguably
the best distro out there.