[nycphp-talk] A little network help

LeeEyerman at aol.com LeeEyerman at aol.com
Sat Jul 17 13:48:32 EDT 2004

Again, thank you all for your help.  I have two seemingly stupid  questions
that my ISP is having trouble answering:

a) If I use port routing, are the ports routed to the physical connection  on
the router or the dynamic IP address assigned by the router?  If it is  the
later, if the router assigns a different IP to the "http/ftp/etc server"  does
the port routing follow automatically?

b) I get my static IP address through my cable company and in order to have
the "business class" service, you have to use their Cisco Router.  If I  want
to use my Linux box as a router as suggested, do I just use the Cisco  Router
to deliver the static IP address to the linux box and then,  conversely, use
the router for external DNS?

c) Does anyone know how to access a Cisco uBR900 router?

Thanks,
Lee

In a message dated 7/17/2004 10:28:29 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
sm11szw02 at sneakemail.com writes:

Hans  Zaunere hans-at-nyphp.com |nyphp 04/2004| wrote:

> I have a ton of  PHP and MySQL experience and I have decided to put a
> little network  in my apartment. So I got my Linux box, I have two
> windows boxes, I  have a single static IP, a Cisco router, and a
> manual? Can anyone  give me some pointers? A path in the right direction?
>
> 1) What  Linux should I use? I have a free distribution of Red Hat 9?
> Is  Fedora better? Any advice?
>
> I've used Fedora Core 2 and have  been very happy…. as far as Linuxes
> go, anyway.
>
> 2)  Currently my router is dynamically assigning TCP/IP #'s to each
>  machine. I know I have to set this up differently. I want the linux
>  box to be a http server, ftp, email, etc, and I want the windows boxes
> to have access to the net. Any suggestions on how I should do this? I
> think I have to setup a DNS, but with only one static IP I think this
> gets tricky. Any assistance would be greatly  appreciated.
>
> I have a Linksys router and it's a simple config  to make a particular
> IP part of the DMZ (ie, all traffic from the  internet gets routed into
> that IP, and vice versa). Meanwhile, the  other boxes (Windows and Mac)
> are tucked away behind NAT. I'm also  able to setup a static IP address
> assignment via the DHCP server in  the Linksys router. If this isn't an
> option, then you can just turn  off DHCP on the Linux box and set the
> IP manually. Nevertheless, you  don't need a DNS server by any stretch.
>
> 3) Also, when I unpack  RPM distributions and the RPM needs a library,
> where is the best  place to find it. And if you can't find it what do
> you do. For  example, I was trying to install PICO under Red Hat and it
> kept  asking for libncurses.so.5. I check the web but could not find
> it.  Any help?
>
> http://www.rpmfind.net  <http://www.rpmfind.net/> can be helpful. If
> you're using a  particular distro, like Fedora, 99% of the RPMs are at
> their download  site. Otherwise, the particular library or package is
> probably  available as an RPM at its homepage.
>
> Or you could just use a  ports based distro like Chris says… oh wait,
> that's FreeBSD  J

Ditto to what Hanz said. I would have suggested  ditch the router and use
box #1 as a linux router ... if only for the the  flexibility and
educational value. If you enjoy configuring it todo the  right things as
a firewall then you'll love Astarro Linux.

With  Netgear or Linksys routers at $80 with NAT and even an exptra print
server  (Netgear FR114P), DMZ, port forwarding, etc the last thing I need
is a  cisco router getting in the way... fast and flexible, youcan have
as many  as you like to cordon off whatever you need with peace of mind
(keepthe  firmware  upated)

talk mailing  list
talk at lists.nyphp.org