[nycphp-talk] Good PHP Apps

Mitch Pirtle mitchy at spacemonkeylabs.com
Thu Jul 1 10:36:11 EDT 2004

Brian Pang wrote:

>>While I'm sure (and know, in
>>fact) there is good code out there, it's generally kept private (and for
>>good reason;
>>

>Sometimes the code you write is not yours to share. As a consultant,
>contracts often state that the code/application produced is the property
>of the company.
>That is not to say that concepts can be re-written and shared, but that
>is also not always cut-and-dry (and it takes time).

Then I'd like to volunteer the sourcecode for Mambo Open Source, a
project that I have been added to (I'm the resident database
curmudgeon).  I can say that I have no vested interest in the code - as
I have not contributed anything yet - but would enjoy an independent
assessment by the community.

    http://www.mamboserver.com/

This is not an advertisement, but an offer to see what everyone else on
this list thinks about their general coding style and architectural
strategies.  This was a commercial project that was allowed an open
source fork, which is what we have today.  Uses OO methodologies, and
fairly clean coding style.

Subjecting Mambo to an acid test by NYPHPers would be awesome, as I
often wonder what the norms are for coding styles, naming conventions, etc.

Just a thought,

-- Mitch