[nycphp-talk] an old thread on a proposed function for PHP

Adam Maccabee Trachtenberg adam at trachtenberg.com
Mon Jan 5 13:27:43 EST 2004

On Mon, 5 Jan 2004, Tim Gales wrote:

> Last month there was some discussion to the effect
> of "what was in their [the php developers'] mind
> when they created 'magic quotes'? "
> (why does PHP have this feature[?] at all?)

FWIW, magic quotes dates back forever, all the way back to January 24,
1996. This means it's 8th birthday is later this month! That's version
1.99a of PHP. I'm sure it seemed helpful to Rasmus at the time. ;)

> Following the thread can give you an insight (of sorts)
> into the collective mind of people working on PHP.

Oddly enough, I would say the majority of people who develop PHP
haven't actually used PHP in years. They used to use PHP, but got
bored writing Web pages and moved onto language development (err... or
writing books.)

This is, IMHO, a serious issue, but I haven't figured out how to fix
it. Suggestions are welcome.

-adam

adam at trachtenberg.com
author of o'reilly's php cookbook
avoid the holiday rush, buy your copy today!