[nycphp-talk] Best possible detailed "boolean search" methodology

Phillip Powell phillip.powell at adnet-sys.com
Mon Apr 19 11:48:35 EDT 2004

My image cataloging application project is now being tasked to come up
with a simple/advanced search engine, fully custom (no 3rd party).  The
criteria to search for will include up to 15 different fields, all
conjoined by the boolean "AND", "OR" and "AND NOT" in between them all.

Based on this incredibly simple criteria, how would any of you approach
this, seriously?  What would you think would be the necessary steps I
should take to approach, logically.  Client has enormous cash flow and
is willing spend wantonly, however, it is made clear to me the client
will NOT accept any 3rd party source of any kind within the application,
every single thing must be built by me, by hand.  Call it the DIY
application approach if you must, but that's it.

Everything else is custom-built by me and I am about 40% completed on
the search engine, however, I am running into serious methodology
problems because of the complexity of the means by which a search can be
done, consider the enormity of combinations of boolean conjoinings that
can take place.

If any of you ever approached anything similar to this, hopefully under
the same conditions as I, how have you approached it?

Thanx
Phil