[nycphp-talk] Sneaking in unwanted characters

Chris Shiflett shiflett at php.net
Wed Sep 10 18:42:17 EDT 2003

--- Jeff <jsiegel1 at optonline.net> wrote:
> "The most comprehensive regular expression currently available for
> testing if an email address is valid was published in Mastering Regular
> Expressions from O'Reilly Publishing. It appears on page 316 and weighs
> in at more than six thousand characters...."
>
> I'm sure there's a better way.

Most of the RFCs either have example regular expressions or a very specific
grammar that can be used to build one. I've seen that one in the back of the
O'Reilly book, and my instinct tells me it shouldn't have to be that
complicated. :-)

Chris

=====
Become a better Web developer with the HTTP Developer's Handbook
http://httphandbook.org/