[nycphp-talk] security? we don't need no stinkin security!

Adam Maccabee Trachtenberg adam at trachtenberg.com
Tue Dec 2 11:29:57 EST 2003

On Tue, 2 Dec 2003, Tim Gales wrote:

> Chris Shiflett writes:
> "> I don't think he means more efficient. Bandwidth usage like
> > that only suggests that YaBB SE spits out less markup. That's
> > a good thing, but it could (theoretically) take twice as long
> > to do so. :-)"
>
> I mean more efficient -- if you can get the same content
> out with less markup how else do you describe it
> (other than being more efficient)

You're both right!

Getting the same content with less markup is more bandwidth efficient,
but if it requires twice as many CPU cycles to generate the output
then there may also be a decrease in processing efficiency.

Chris's point was that you can't measure the net efficiency of the
system by only looking at one source.

-adam

adam at trachtenberg.com
author of o'reilly's php cookbook
avoid the holiday rush, buy your copy today!