[nycphp-talk] MySQL & 2.5 million rows!

nyphp at jimbishop.org nyphp at jimbishop.org
Fri Apr 11 10:30:30 EDT 2003

> BTW, in case you are wondering why there are three different tables, I
> felt that this was a better way than my client's present system which
> simply wipes out the live data and then reads in the Ascii file. If
> there is a glitch then they have to empty the table and reload the
> Ascii. Doing it this way, if they need to go back to the old data, I
> would move it data from data_old to data_live.

a better system would be to store all of the data in one table and then
have a "status" table that kept track of what was live data, old data,
etc.  then when you want to pull the "live" data, you query the
"status" table which holds a foreign key to the data table.

no moving data around.  no duplication of data.