[nycphp-talk] Includes

Analysis & Solutions danielc at analysisandsolutions.com
Mon Sep 30 12:48:02 EDT 2002

Hi Jessica:

On Mon, Sep 30, 2002 at 11:49:23AM -0400, jessica kelly wrote:

> file called index.htm
> <!-- #include virtual="header.htm" ¯>
> <!-- #include virtual="menu.htm" ¯>
> Wonderful and Exciting Contents go here...
> <!-- #include virtual="footer.htm" ¯>
>
> And it will be parsed by PHP....Right?

Not exactly.  Do this:

  <?php
  include('./header.inc');
  include('./menu.inc');
  ?>
  Wonderful and Exciting Contents go here...
  <?php
  include('./footer.inc');
  ?>

I strongly suggest renaming include files to use the .inc extension.  This
will make it clear which files are for public viewing and which files are
just internal components.

> Will this work with the regular PHP installed or do I need mod_php??

This will work either way.

> Which would be better to use as to be less of a drain on server
> resources -  regular PHP or mod_php?

In general module is better on speed, and I suspect, resources.  But, on
the windows platforms, it's said that the module version isn't up to
production quality/stability.

--Dan

--
               PHP classes that make web design easier
        SQL Solution  |   Layout Solution   |  Form Solution