[nycphp-talk] PHP and Oracle 8i

Hans Zaunere zaunere at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 12 20:34:25 EDT 2002

> I already installed php on a RH7.2 system with the
> rpm. Everywhere I look says I have to  compile php
> with oracle support.

You do.

> My question is: Since I have
> oracle already installed is there a way to edit any
> file like php.ini to enable oracle 8i support or do I
> HAVE to compile a php in order to get it working?

I'm almost positive the RPM of PHP doesn't include oci8 support (a
phpinfo() call would confirm this).

So, you'll need to compile php with something like:
./configure --with-oci8=/home/oracle/OraHome1

with the Oracle client libs installed minimally and

/home/oracle/OraHome1/lib

in /etc/ld.so.conf.  Be sure to run ldconfig afterwards, of course, and
these are only the default Oracle directories for stuff.