[nycphp-talk] Oracle and gif storage

Patrick Hunt pat at vote.com
Thu Sep 5 16:34:50 EDT 2002

Bill,

You have to store images as blobs, which means you can't use a
plain old SQL statement.

Here's a simple example:

  //$image = {contents of image file};

  $sql = "INSERT INTO IMAGE_TABLE (IMAGE_ID, IMAGE)
           VALUES ($NewImageID, EMPTY_BLOB()) returning IMAGE into
:img";

  $blobdesc = OCINewDescriptor($conn, OCI_D_LOB);

  if ($qry = OCIParse($conn, $sql)) {

    OCIBindByName($qry, ":img", &$blobdesc, -1, OCI_B_BLOB);

    if (OCIExecute($qry, OCI_DEFAULT)){
      if ($image) {
        $blobdesc->save($image);
      }
      OCICommit($conn);
    }
    else {
      OCIRollback($conn);
    }

    OCIFreeStatement($qry);

  }

The one thing I don't know how to do is trap errors in the
$blobdesc->save method.

Getting the image back out can be done with a normal SQL select.
Just remember to tell OCIFetchInto to return LOB
columns, as in: OCIFetchInto($qry, &$rslt, OCI_RETURN_LOBS)

Pat