[nycphp-talk] Seeking Info. C

Hans Zaunere zaunere at yahoo.com
Wed May 22 16:46:40 EDT 2002

--- Jon Baer <jonbaer at digitalanywhere.com> wrote:
> What Im looking for is how to build a very simple "Hello World" C
> extension for
> PHP,

Get the new Programming PHP by Rasmus from O'Reilly - most in-depth
coverage of PHP extension/internal I've seen so far (if anyone knows of
anything better (besides the source) do tell!).  There is also
http://www.zend.com/apidoc/ which is very good.  Both about cover the
same, but each fills in a little.

> or @ least how to build PHP on Windows without Visual C (using
> Cygwin) ...
> I attempt it and php.h creates a huge mess ...

Not sure about this, but in Rasmus' book they cover Windows
configuration, etc.  I don't know the details, but I'll have the book
at the meeting tonight so you can check it out.

> Is there any advantage (speed-wise) to using a native MySQL C
> extension u have
> built vs. using the built-in methods?

Hmm, I doubt it.  PHP and MySQL have been like bread and butter from
the beginning and the extension has been developed by members of each
team.  When compiled against mysql's libraries, the extension is about
as native as you can get.

Hans Z.