[nycphp-talk] Formatting dates

Jeremy Hise jhise at distantworker.com
Wed May 15 08:32:25 EDT 2002

Hi!

I'm not gonna go into details here, but just about all PHP date
functions use the unix timestamp..which may seem a little odd if you are
coming from M$. However, this turns out to be great because it actually
eleminates the problem of going into the next month.

For instance, to print the date, you say something like:

print (date("M Y"));

This will give you "May 2002";

Now, you can use a function called mktime() like this:

$new_timestamp = mktime(0, 0, 0, 5, 15, 2002);

Now if you say,

print (date("M d Y", $new_timestamp));

You will get:

"May 15 2002".

The "next month" problem is solved because if you say,

$new_timestamp = mktime(0,0,0,5,32,2002);

You will get

June 1 2002

Cool huh?

Good luck!

Jeremy

NOTE: Some syntax may be off a bit, but use PHP.net as your reference.
You can type in http://www.php.net/mktime and it will redirect you to
the function definition for mktime(), etc.